Here are some basic statistics on the Third Circuit’s decisions in FY 2013 (October 1, 2012 to September 30, 2013). Note that the percent affirmed or dismissed figures vary by case type, and range from 81% (other civil cases) to 92.47% (appeals from administrative agencies). Thus, for example, in just over 90% of criminal cases, the Third Circuit left the district court’s decision untouched. On the other hand, in just under 10% of those cases, the district court’s judgment was reversed, reversed in part, vacated, or vacated in part. The figures also show that nearly all petitions for writs of mandamus or prohibition are denied or dismissed.

Third Circuit Opinions – Fiscal Year 2013

6 thoughts on “Some new statistics for FY2013

  1. Pingback: Should you appeal your employment case? | Once Upon Review

  2. Pingback: To appeal or not to appeal – an example using Third Circuit contract appeals. | Once Upon Review

  3. Pingback: Third Circuit judgments in a sample of civil appeals | Once Upon Review

  4. Pingback: Percent-Affirmed Statistics Over Time: Some lessons from four samples of employment-case appeals | Once Upon Review

  5. Pingback: New FY2014 Statistics | Once Upon Review

  6. Pingback: How long does a criminal appeal take in the Third Circuit? | Once Upon Review

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s